PewDiePie announcing his DLive partnership, April 9, 2019.
Technology

PewDiePie/DLive partnership announced immediately after Modern Consensus scoop

Controversial YouTuber will use the blockchain-based DLive platform for livestreaming

A day after Modern Consensus reported that blockchain-based video livestreaming platform DLive was working on bringing onboard the controversial but hugely popular YouTube personality PewDiePie, a partnership was announced.

“I’m really excited about DLive and really excited to finally be live streaming again,” said PewDiePie, a Swede whose real name is Felix Kjellberg, in a sponsored video posted on YouTube on April 9. He has a huge following—93.68 million—on YouTube.

Yet, livestreaming has been an uneasy tool for the Swedish streamer. In September 2017, seven months after Disney-owned sponsor Maker Studios dropped him for posting anti-Semitic videos, PewDiePie used the “N-word” in the heat of anger while livestreaming himself playing the Player Unknown’s Battleground (PUBG), a multi-player shooter game.

His reputation for offensive content and growing appeal in the white nationalist Alt-Right movement was highlighted on March 15, when the New Zealand Christchurch mosque shooter called out “subscribe to PewDiePie” on the YouTube livestream of his rampage. Kjellberg said he was “sickened” by that comment.

It’s a huge coup for DLive, which with more than 3 million active monthly viewers has less than 3.5% of PewDiePie’s audience.

A DApp built on the Lino Network blockchain, DLive has had more controversial streamers on its platform.

As Modern Consensus reported, the platform banned the livestream InfoWars channel posted by the notorious alt-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on April 5, just hours after we pointed it out to DLive. By April 9, all 409 of his videos had been removed.

Kjellberg said he will be livestreaming “very frequently,” beginning on Sunday April 14, when he said he will donate between $10,000 and $50,000 dollars to other DLive livestreamers, which will be contributed bringing viewers to the platform, he said.

Calling DLive “a disruptive solution” Kjellberg praised the platform, saying its “mission is to empower creators.” He focused on the fact that DLive does not take a cut of donations or subscription earnings, that viewers can earn LINO Points—DLive’s cryptocurrency token, sold for $0.012—and that “users themselves get to influence the shape of the platform, guide where it’s direction is going, and also get rewarded.”

He added, “personally, I think it’s really cool to have a creator-based website actually putting creators first.”

Content creators get 90.1 percent of the LINO Points earned, while the remaining 9.9% goes into a fund for viewers who have “locked” LINO Points in their accounts, Viewers can also earn them for watching and engaging with livestreamers. LINO Points are created daily by a proof of stake (PoS) model.

“DLive is a place where instead of competing against each other, it benefits creators to support one another,” said Wilson Wei, co-founder of Lino Network. “With no platform cuts, we incentivize everyone to create the highest quality content for viewers. PewDiePie has always been a fierce advocate for the value that creators bring with their hard work, time, and effort, and he believes in DLive’s vision. Our livestreaming platform has the potential to forever change how creators are represented in this industry, and we’re proud to have PewDiePie help us lead this charge.”

Leo Jakobson, Modern Consensus editor-in-chief, is a New York-based journalist who has traveled the world writing about incentive travel. He has also covered consumer and employee engagement, small business, the East Coast side of the Internet boom and bust, and New York City crime, nightlife, and politics. Disclosure: Jakobson owns no cryptocurrencies.

Subscribe to MODERN CONSENSUS Newsletter